Tobacco-free worksites result not only in healthier and more productive employees, but in significant savings to business’ bottom lines as well. Employers incur high costs from tobacco use:
- $300 billion/year, which includes
- ~ $170 billion in direct medical care for adults, and
- > $156 billion in lost productivity due to premature death and exposure to secondhand smoke.
- Average of $5,816 spent more per year on employees who smoke than those who don’t from increased absenteeism and loss of productivity related to
- nicotine addiction
- smoke breaks, and
- extra health care costs.
Besides reducing the high costs associated with tobacco use at worksites, tobacco-free workplaces can:
- Protect employees, visitors, and clients from the harmful effects of secondhand smoke, for which there is no safe level of exposure
- Support the efforts of smokers who want to quit
- Increase the number of smokers who are motivated to quit
- Improve employees’ health
- Reduce individuals’ insurance premiums
- Decrease employee conflict due to secondhand smoke
- Improve net profits
- Decrease maintenance costs and improve curb appeal
- Attract needed employees who desire to work in healthy environments
Tobacco Free Communities DOS is here to support local businesses of Delaware, Otsego and Schoharie counties and help them thrive. We offer free assistance and resources to businesses to draft, implement and enforce tobacco-free policies.
Interested in working with us? Contact Jennifer Hill at Jennifer.Hill003@sphp.com.