We have an opiod overdose crisis, but cigarettes still kill 15 times more people
28,200 adults in New York State die each year from smoking-related disease
Tobacco use remains the leading cause of preventable death and disease
The average age of a new smoker in New York State is 13 years old
Tobacco Marketing PROMOTES smoking among youth! Is there anything tobacco companies wouldn’t do to get tobacco in front of our youth? Tobacco companies spend billions on marketing in stores where youth can see it. The more tobacco marketing kids see, the more likely they are to smoke!
- The average age of a new smoker is 13
- The U.S. Surgeon General calls smoking a “pediatric epidemic”
- Stores popular among youth contain 3 times more tobacco marketing than other stores in the same community
- Tobacco marketing is recruiting youth to become REPLACEMENT smokers
- In NYS, tobacco companies spend over half a million dollars a day on tobacco marketing
- In NYS, there is 1 licensed tobacco retailer for every 194 children
- 90% of adult smokers say they first tried smoking before age 18
Tobacco Retail Observations – 2018
During June 2018, ATFC-DOS staff and Reality Check youth completed 41 tobacco retail observations.
- A young person in the Village of Sidney, the Village of Cobleskill and the City of Oneonta is more likely to come across a store that sells tobacco than a library or a recreation area.
- Communities overrun with tobacco products and tobacco marketing make it easier for young people to start smoking and harder for current smokers to quit.
- When tobacco is more available and visible in a community, the people who live there are more likely to smoke and more likely to experience tobacco-related illness and disease. (Preventing Tobacco Use Among Youth and Young Adults: A Report of the Surgeon General, 2012)
- The NYS adult smoking rate is 14.2%.
Village of Sidney (Delaware County) – 10 tobacco retailers
There is one tobacco retailer for every 37.7 youth in the Village of Sidney. In the Village of Sidney, there are 3,900 residents. 377 of them are between the ages of 5 and 19.
The adult smoking rate for Delaware County is 23.4 %.
City of Oneonta (Otsego County) – 19 tobacco retailers
There is one tobacco retailer for every 33 youth in the City of Oneonta. In the City of Oneonta, there are 13,901 residents. 629 are between the ages of 5 and 19.
The adult smoking rate for Otsego County is 19.7%.
Village of Cobleskill (Schoharie County) – 12 tobacco retailers
There is one tobacco retailer for every 25.25 youth in the Village of Cobleskill. In the Village of Cobleskill, there are 4,678 residents. 303 of them are between the ages of 5 and 19.
The adult smoking rate for Schoharie County is 18.1 %.